Wednesday 22 June 2011

KTM station braces for goodbye

KTM station braces for goodbye

The food stalls at Tanjong Pagar Railway Station will be moving out by Sunday, as the station prepares for its final week of operations.

The last KTM train will depart on June 30.

For the past few weeks, tickets for the Malaysia-bound trains have been selling out, as Singaporeans savour one final trip on the historic railway.

The Tanjong Pagar Railway Station is as famous for its food, as its art-deco facade.

Many say its teh tarik, or milk tea, is one of the best in Singapore.

But there aren't many days left to get a bite there, as stall operators have to vacate by June 26.

The cafeteria bears the name of chief tenant Mahmoodul Hasan, who has been there since 1976.

Like many of the other operators, he is undecided on his plans.

"I feel very, very sad. Because it's like my home," Mr Mahmoodul said.

"I'm finding a good place. If I get it, I'll continue. If not, then I'll relax!"

He added that his tenants have indicated their interest in following him if a good location is found.

Meanwhile, some Singaporeans are hoping to buy train tickets.

All seats for Wednesday's 8am and 1pm trains have been sold, and tickets for the next day were reportedly gone within half an hour.

Mr Teo Juay Tee, who managed to buy tickets, said: "I came four times to try to get the ticket, and on the fourth try I got lucky.

"I'm already 27 years old and I've never taken the train before, so that's why I'm here to try out the train".

Others who were spotted at the KTM station included a wedding photographer, who joined other shutterbugs in documenting the station's last days.

There was also a souvenir stall in a corner, selling T-shirts, plastic files and mobile phone accessories with the KTM logo.

A resident who lives in an estate near the station, 53-year-old R Kalaichevan, said: "When I was five years old, my father brought me here to practise walking.

"This was the only shopping centre we know, and every evening, we come here, we watch the trains come in and go off".

From July 1, trains between Singapore and Malaysia will depart from the Woodlands checkpoint.

All immigration procedures will take place there.

The last passenger train will pull out of Tanjong Pagar station for the last time at 10pm on June 30, and tickets are selling fast online.

Malaysian authorities will also hold a send-off party that night, which will end with the Sultan of Johor driving a special train to Johor as a grand finale.

~News courtesy of Channel Newsasia~

No comments:

Post a Comment